MEETING THE CHALLENGES
The regions of the Eastern Cape where we are operating
are net importers of agricultural produce, yet have vast farming
potential. This potential can be unlocked by the training and assistance
of farmers. It will result in the area becoming a net exporter of
Agriculture is still very poorly developed in most rural
areas. All farmers, big and small, face huge obstacles in order to
earn a living through agriculture. They have been faced with:
1. No local procurement points.
2. Despite government’s efforts, no or very little advice
3. No local markets.
4. Inadequate mechanisation services.
5. Lack of transport.
6. No infrastructure.
7. Limited access to finance or financial services.
Umtiza has had a positive effect in the areas in which
it operates, addressing most of the above mentioned problems.
The results are:
Our Communal Stock Farmers:
- Have local access to their veterinary requirements,
- Have balanced and raw feeds locally available,
- Have in-house advice and training available,
- Have a branch through which to arrange the purchase
and/or sale of livestock,
- Have an avenue through which to sell their hides, skins
Our Crop farmers:
- Have local access to input and maintenance products,
- Have in-house advice and training programs available.
- Have a market for their produce. Umtiza buys and will
buy back most of the farmer’s raw produce in order to re- sell or
manufacture into food for human and/or animal
- Have access to financial services. This has become
available to farmers as an infrastructure is in place with whom or
through which such services can be provided by financial institutions.
- Have opportunities to contract-grow crops for Umtiza so
that Umtiza can meet its
future manufacturing requirements.